Monday, June 7, 2010

MLB Draft

Tonight is the MLB First Year Player Draft. This is my third year seriously watching the draft. Previously, I read some scouting reports and just kind of went with what the high profile reporters said. However, the last three years I've been watching video, reading stat lines, checking body frames vs. throwing motion / swing motion and reading numerous scout evaluations. The following is a list of my favorite talents from the last couple years and those players that I think will develop in to top tier players in this years draft.

I know lists are sloppy writing, but those that read this blog realize that I'm just throwing out stream of consciousness words anyway. So on with the slop.

2008:
1. Brian Matusz - 4th Overall - Baltimore Orioles
2. Yonder Alonso - 7th Overall - Cincinnati Reds
3. Aaron Crow - 9th Overall - Washington Nationals
4. Aaron Hicks - 14th Overall - Minnesota Twins
5. Buster Posey - 5th Overall - San Francisco Giants

2009 (Stasburg obvious #1, so outside of him):
1. Zach Wheeler - 6th Overall - San Francisco Giants
2. Kyle Gibson - 22nd Overall - Minnesota Twins
3. Tyler Matzek - 11th Overall - Colorado Rockies
4. Mike Minor - 7th Overall - Atlanta Braves
5t. Mike Trout - 25th Overall - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
5t. Dustin Ackley - 2nd Overall - Seattle Mariners

2010 (Harper obvious #1, so outside of him):
1. Karsten Whitson - 9th Overall - San Diego Padres
2. Manny Machado - 3rd Overall - Baltimore Orioles
3. Nick Castellanos - Yet to be selected (as of 7:30pm CST)
4. Michael Fotynewicz - Yet to be selected (as of 7:30pm CST)
5. Christian Colon - 4th Overall - Kansas City Royals

So I guess time will tell about all of these guys. Some success stories didn't make my top 5 lists (Mike Leake in 2009.) The Minnesota Twins are coming up on the clock soon and I'd like us to take either Nick Castellanos or Michael Fotynewicz if they are still available. All the mocks and reports have us taking Wimmers. That would be a solid choice that I would be fine with, but I believe my 5 listed above have a much higher upside.

Baseball's future is tonight.

- J Filth

No comments:

Post a Comment